DEFENDING AND ENABLING FREE EXPRESSION FOR ALL
Campaign for Free Expression is a non-profit organisation dedicated to protecting and expanding the right to free expression for ALL, and enabling EVERYONE to exercise this right to the full, whether it by speaking out, by protesting, by revealing information, by blowing the whistle on wrong-doing, by arguing, debating, writing, painting, composing or just by shouting out your opinion.
We are strictly non-partisan and fiercely independent. We don’t care what your view is: if it is legal, we will defend your right to have it, express it, argue it and fight for it. And if anyone or any circumstance is blocking your free expression, we will do what we can to expose and unblock it. It might be in the streets, in your workplace, at public meetings, on your campus, in any public space; it might be you alone or a vast mob of people; it might be that you are shouting, or singing, waving a sign with a message, or making provocative gestures with your hands – we are there to try to ensure that you can express yourself and take part in public life freely and openly.
We seek to build the widest possible coalition of organisations and individuals who care about the right to free expression. So, no matter what your views on other topics, if you support this fundamental right, then please fill in the Contact Us page and we will put you on our mailing list. In the near future, we will start a Friends of Free Expression (FFE), and invite you to join us in the fight to defend and expand free expresssion for all.
What we do
OUR AIMS ARE
- To monitor the free flow of ideas and information and report on relevant events and developments
- To inject an informed, principled, consistent, and fact-based freedom of expression position into the national discourse.
- To encourage awareness of and support for freedom of expression across all elements of society, in particular ensuring it is not just a media concern but one for all citizens and civil society.
- Promote transparency and access to information in all sectors of society.
- Facilitate a broad alliance of those who care about this issue and partnerships with like-minded organizations. Build international alliances and partnerships.
- Undertake strategic and precedent-setting legal action to promote and defend free expression.
- Act as a think-tank on policy, particularly around the complex issues being thrown up by digital media, disinformation, and regulation.
As a new organization, CFE is building the organization and planning its roll-out. Its activities will include:
- Monitoring and reporting on developments affecting free expression
- Reacting to relevant news and events
- Mobilising publicity and support for those whose freedom of expression is threatened
- Research and publication on issues affecting free expression
- Building the widest possible coalition of people who care about this issue
Our work is based on the following core values:
- Principled support for maximum freedom of expression and the importance of open and informed debate, discussion, argument, disagreement and the free flow of information.
- Non-partisan support for the expression of all opinions and ideas, no matter how uncomfortable, controversial and unpopular might be.
- Building of a broad coalition that will attempt to draw in as wide a spectrum as possible around this single issue.